A good question, don’t you think?
In this day and age with Netflix and movies on-demand, why would anyone choose to go to the cinema when you can watch it all in the comfort of your own home?
Reasons for going to the movies:
- You get to smell the odorous sausage and chicken nuggets from the person behind you to help remind you to stick to your diet. (Perhaps this is a Malaysian thing.)
- You get privy information through overhearing the person in front of you talk on their phone.
- You get to sit by the guy who takes the arm rest, thus enabling you to practice arm muscle exercises for the duration of the film.
- You get to check out the latest 15 minutes worth of commercials which you haven’t seen in a while.
- You get to listen to the lovely children talk and laugh, reminding you of the good old days when you were young, carefree, and not interested in boring movies.
- You get to listen to the entertaining cadences of popcorn crunching emanating from behind you.
- You get to hear all the latest ringtones, so you can decide whether you should upgrade or not.
- You get to practice your patience as late arriving people make you stand up and get out of your row.
- You get to wait in line with a bunch of strangers, pretending to create community bonds.
- You get to understand thoroughly the value of a dollar once you realized what you paid to enjoy a crappy film.
- You get to enjoy a kernel of popcorn which is slightly less valuable than a nugget of gold.
- You get to snuggle with your sweetheart, showing off what a great relationship you have. (You also get to watch additional interesting acts by others.)
Now that I convinced you the superiority of cinema experiences compared with watching at home, let’s try to think of at least a couple of reasons why anyone would want to stay and home and watch a movie at home.
- The screen at the cinema is too big. (It hurts my neck.)
- The couch at home is too comfortable. I’ll probably lie down and miss the movie.
There you have it. No contest. Now go to the cinema this weekend!